The Canadian Jewish Review was founded in 1921 in Toronto by George and Florence Freedlander. Published in the English language, in many ways its development follows the trajectory of English-speaking Canadian Jews. Its approach was politically mild, moderately Zionist, religiously Reform, and focused on the social achievements of local Jewry rather than on current events. The tide began to turn as events heated up in British-Mandate Palestine, particularly the 1929 attacks on Jews in Hebron; the coming of Nazism in Europe forced world consciousness upon even the most devoutly assimilationist Jewish journalists.Its long run during the years of greatest upheaval and change in the lives of its readers makes it a central source for the study of Canada’s Jews. The selection digitized here runs from 1921 to 1966, with some years missing and other years lacking issues.http://newspapers.lib.sfu.ca/mcc-cjr-collection
Many immigrants came to Canada through the Port of Halifax. Pier 21 was the entry point after 1921. The Pier 21 Museum in Halifax is a very interesting visit for researchers. They have a website that offers valuable information re ship schedules and arrivals. Ship's manifests can also be accessed.For passenger ships arriving in the late 19th century and the first part of the 20th century one would have to check with their local public library in Canada to see if they have microfiche records of ship arrivals and manifests. A researcher would have to have some idea when their family members may have arrived in Canada. Halifax was not the only port of entry. Montreal, Quebec City, St.John New Brunswick were also destination ports. Some immigrants even landed in St. John's Newfoundland and then entered Canada from there (Newfoundland did not join Canada until 1949).Many Canadian immigrants arrived in New York and other U.S. ports and then joined family in Canada. Ellis Island is also a very good starting point for researchers.
Housed in the Lipa Green Centre of the Jewish Federation of Ontario, the Jewish Archives is a vast repository of vital information. One can find landsmanshaften publications and records, shul memberships, Society magazines, histories of Mount Sinai, Brunswick St., Baycrest Hospitals, newspaper and magazine articles that related to well-known Jewish personalities, digests of Jewish businesses etc. The Archives are digitizing, and much is now available online.
From evidence in the annually published city directories, Louis Rothenberg arrived in Toronto about 1899, and first earned a living as a junk dealer, at 145 Elizabeth Street.In 1902, his eldest son, Henry joined him in the family business. Presumably, on Henry’s initiative, the firm of L. Rothenberg & Son, junk dealers, increased its scope in 1904, operating as L. Rottenberg & Son, steamship agents, at 157 Queen Street West.About 1908, in a short-lived partnership with Samson and Charles J. Garfunkel, the firm of Garfunkel & Rottenberg, steamship agents, opened at 141 Queen Street West, while Louis continued to operate the junk dealership.Listed at the Queen Street address in the 1911 city directory simply as Louis Rottenberg & Sons, insurance agents, the firm had further diversified; and also expanded with the inclusion of sons Max and Louis Jr. in the business. By 1916, they were advertising themselves as L. Rotenberg, bankers, steamship and insurance agents, apparently with the departure of son Henry. However, in the following year the Rotenberg family abandoned their steamship agency.The surviving Rotenberg Ledger is a register of steamship passengers who had their tickets purchased for them by relatives in Canada—generally living in the Toronto region. The majority of the names are of Jews who were emigrating from Eastern and Central Europe. Thanks to Cyril Gryfe for providing the above provenance to the Rotenberg Ledger.